S7 v1.0 mobile data not available for several apps and websites (APN-related?)
- /e/ version: 1.0-20220526188859
- Device model(s): Galaxy S7 (SM-G930F)
- Device rooted: ? I bought the device in the /e/ shop in 2020
- Mobile network provider: Congstar (Deutsche Telekom)
Several apps have no access to internet via mobile data (4G) anymore after OTA update/upgrade 0.19-20211023142428 -> 1.0-20220526188859
(Same apps and websites without any issues when wifi is ON)
Might or might not be related to issue #5628 (closed) (can´t reproduce the whole list of working /not working domains as described there)
Seems like the issue is related to APN settings (see below "possible fixes" and issue #5628 (closed))
There are more users experiencing the same (or pretty similar to the unarmed eye) issue:
edits: clarifications & additions
Steps to reproduce
- All permissions for apps to use mobile data are granted, incl. background data
- mobile data is ON,
- wifi is OFF
- advanced privacy is OFF
- no VPN, no data saving mode, no battery saving mode
What is the current behavior?
DOES NOT work:
- signal-app does not send nor receive messages - behaviour persists also after reinstall
- browser (built-in default) does not connect to e.g. https://duckduckgo.com (" DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN")
- app lounge tells me something about certain network errors and then crashes completely
- nextcloud: does not sync, says "no server available"
- wetter online-app has no internet - behaviour persists also after reinstall
- wikipedia-app has internet access
- FairEmail syncs with my posteo.de mail account
- DAVx5 syncs with my posteo.de CalDAV calendar
- browser (built-in default) does connect to e.g. https://blog.fefe.de OR https://uhr.ptb.de
What is the expected correct behavior?
everything that does not work as listed above is expexted to work instead :-)
Relevant logs (
with wifi ON everything works OK so far
--> doublechek/fix APN settings (no idea what happens to APN settings in the background during OS upgrade and why this works for some but not for others)
I got inspired by RD138´s approach. But other than in RD138´s solution/description there was no proxy defined in my APN-settings that I could delete… but I doublechecked the recommended APN-settings for S7 at my providers support-page (congstar.de). There is only recommendations for Android 6+7 available but in terms of APN-settings they are the same. So I tried and changed APN from “internet.telekom” to “internet.v6.telekom” as specified by congstar and left all other settings untouched.
et voilá: mobile data available again for e.g. signal-app… The other apps and websites seem to have access to internet via mobile data as well!
I want to point out that my previous APN-settings (= before the OS upgrade) were fully functional in terms of mobile network access.
Another user confirms this exact approach works in his case: https://community.e.foundation/t/mobile-data-issue-on-s7-after-upgrade-to-v1-0/41952/10?u=obacht
Other users found other specific APN settings to be altered in order to regain access to mobile network: https://community.e.foundation/t/no-mobile-data-connection-on-s7-edge/41678/8?u=obacht
but that "APN-settings approach" does not fully solve the issue for all cases as it seems - OR the issue might be somewhat different or other issues included: https://community.e.foundation/t/mobile-data-issue-on-s7-after-upgrade-to-v1-0/41952/8?u=obacht
[As of now and for my case I can say that only app-lounge still crashes very often (but after a few restarts at least has internet access via mobile data). There must be some other issue with that app that has little or nothing to do with mobile data...]