Introducing an /e/ button - as easy access to security related features
I would like to share a thought. Apart from the launcher there is no sign to allow an /e/ ROM to be distinguished from other Android ROMs. You need to dig deep into the system to have that visibility. I believe it would be good to have a tiny bit more /e/ visibility on the phone - maybe with an ‘/e/settings’ symbol just on the desktop or in the quick settings pulldown menu (as a little /e/ button next to the ‘official’ settings button. Let me explain you why:
- Easy entry point. An /e/ button could be a shortcut to security related issues on the phone. For many future /e/ users the installation of the system or the purchase of an /e/ phone will be just a very first step on their journey dealing with and learning about security related issues. Therefore it would be good to have a straight and easy to reach central entry point on the device.
- Access security features. It could a good place to easily switch on/off security features such as VPN, ad-/tracking blockers, etc.
- Statistics. To have easy access to security related statistics and mobile data usage.
- Learning & Information. The /e/ menu could be an entry point to the /e/ website, relevant blogs and maybe later on a section with a highlighted feature or a new app (s.th. like once or twice per month). All this in order to help users to increase step-by-step their knowledge and awareness on security issues.
- Support to explain /e/ by yourself. I am sure there are lots of people interested in a privacy respecting mobile phone system. I believe people who decide to use that are potential multipliers to tell about /e/. But I believe as well that many future users would not be capable to explain easily what /e/ actually is and does. So why not providing an easily accessible place on the phone with explanations in a simple language (something like: /e/ in 2 sentences. And: /e/ in five bullet points).