File sync and localisation
- /e/ version:
- Device model(s):
What is the current behavior?
When connecting /e/ to an fresh account on a selft-hosted nextcloud server, /e/'s built-in sync creates a couple of folders on the nextcloud server, e. g.
These directories seem to be created without regard to this nextcloud-user’s localization.
What is the improved behavior?
What I would expect is, that /e/ asks the user how to use existing folders in his nextcloud account, perhaps like
- Are there any folders in the connected account?
- If yes, show a wizard asking:
- Where should we put Pictures? (select directory or use SOME_LOCALISED_NAME)
- Where should we put Documents (select directory or use SOME_LOCALISED_NAME)
and so on.
What does it bring?
If we skip that, this will end in a mess of folders in the user’s account.
If someone connects to an existing nextcloud account already populated with music, photos, files and so on, we could give her/him a chance to adapt the existing structure.
Pictures in my (german localised) existing account reside in "/Fotos". /e/'s first-run assistant would let me select this folder to sync pictures instead of creating a new folder named "Pictures".
- create fresh nextcloud account
- create some folders for music, pictures, documents in any language other than english
- connect /e/-device to this account
- let user choose where to put according media, e.g. pictures
- check if /e/ syncs new photos to the folder choosen by user