Replace Android System Webview by Bromite SystemWebView and regular updates [Webview + Browser] via the /e/ app store
- /e/ version: 0.9-2020042851613
- Device model: Fairphone 3
- Reproducible with the last /e/ version: Yes
- Reproducible with LineageOS: I don't know
Replace the Android System WebView by the Bromite SystemWebView and implement a regular update strategy. The /e/ browser is a fork of the Bromite Browser. Also implement a regular update strategy to receive the newest version soon.
This improvement concerns
What is the current behavior?
- Android System Webview and /e/ Browser are far outdated: Version 79.0.3945.139 (26th January 2020) More information: https://github.com/bromite/bromite/releases/ or https://github.com/bromite/bromite/releases/tag/79.0.3945.139
- The newest version of Bromite Browser and Bromite SystemWebView are at the moment: 81.0.4044.127 (26th April 2020) https://www.bromite.org/ -> The Problem is that many applications on an Android Smartphone are using the WebView interface and software vulnerabilities are still open.
What is the improved behavior?
- Replace the "Android System WebView" by "Bromite SystemWebView"
- Add the Bromit repository to the F-Droid app store in the minimal /e/ OS and in the /e/ app store on the standard /e/ OS.
- The F-Droid app store (/e/ app store) should have "modify system" access to update the Bromit Browser and WebView (system) apps
- A repository / script / person should check regularly if a new software version is published by Bromite.
What does it bring?
- Close security flaws/vulnerabilities of the Browser and Webview. Many Android apps are using Webview.
- Newest features are available soon
- Important: More security and less attack surface
- Newer de-google patches
- App crash deduction
- New features and improvements: DRM, card reader, download behavior, disable auto-login by default https://github.com/bromite/bromite/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md
Please try the recommendation steps in the /e/ development area.