Encryption not working without resizing data partition on j5nlte
- /e/ version: e-0.8-o-2020041049060-dev-j5nlte
- Device model: j5nlte
- When it started to occur: Since always
- Reproducible with the last /e/ version: Yes
- Reproducible with LineageOS: Yes
The phone can't be encrypted without resizing the data partition into TWRP.
- The device is unusable
- The bug is the source of a data loss or a big waste of time
- The bug concerns a third party app
- The bug concerns security
- The bug concerns privacy
Steps to reproduce
I installed the stockROM in order to do a fresh installation of a new version of TWRP and custom ROMs.
With LineageOS 17.1 : Encryption not working, even after the use of the "Resize File System" into TWRP, and even after manually resizing the partition in the terminal of TWRP. Trying to encrypt the phone will mess the system and you won't be able to enter in it again without format the data partition.
What is the current behavior?
With LineageOS 16.0 and /e/ Oreo : When I try to encrypt the phone after a fresh installation, the phone restarts (kind of, it's quick and the SIM PIN code isn't asked) but the phone isn't encrypted.
What is the expected correct behavior?
The user should be able to encrypt the phone directly without any more actions.
There is no difference between :
- Use the "Resize File System" in TWRP > Wipe > Advanced Wipe > select Data > Resize or Repair File System > Resize File System.
- Or resize the data partition in the Terminal of TWRP
Both of those actions will decrease the /dev/block/mmcblk0p28 to 1257975 instead of 1257979.
If possible, automatically resize the data partition to 1257975 in the installation process.