[FEATURE PROPOSAL] Adding to APPS a new app category "suggestions from /e/"
This is the first of two proposals I proposed for disussion to the /e/ forum received quite some positive feedback. Therefore, I am posting the proposal now on GIT:
Adding to APPS a new app category "suggestions from /e/" This category could be called suggestions from the /e/ team, just /e/ or /e/ friends.
The varietey of apps offered in APPS is already overwhelming. I think it could be very helpful to have in the categories section of the app store a section that is curated by /e/ and featuring a small selection of apps that offer potentially a high added value to the /e/ user - either apps with a security focus (features that are not included in /e/ yet or with some other very useful feature) (see pic below). This section could enable new users easily to identify ‘really important’ apps with only a few clicks.
Here's a list of app that could be useful to appear in this section
- Ad-blocking (such as Blokada, ideally v3, or other DNS filtering tools)
- Alternative Launchers (such as Trebuchet or Librechair - personnally I'd prefer Trebuchet as it is not overwhelming from the number of features and suits better to /e/'s target users). An alternative to Bliss seems to be important to propose especially for all those who want to stick to a Pixel style user experience.
- Chat/Messenging apps (Riot.im, Riot X, Signal, Telegram, Telegram XDeltaChat, Conversations, Jami). Here's I'd put several options to provide a variety of alternatives to WhatsApp users.
- Gadget connectors (such as GadgetBridge, OpenPods)
- Time Mmnt/Parental Control (OpenTimeLimit)
- Other (Exodus Privacy, SnoopSnitch, WireGuard)
The discussion on this topic in the forum can be found here: https://community.e.foundation/t/feature-proposal-2-additional-ideas-for-e-s-app-store/5639/7